musician, singer, artist, storyteller
- Lady Gaga and the Life of Passion by David Brooks, NY Times
Says Lady Gaga, "I always wanted to be extremely brave and I wanted to be a constant reminder to the universe of what passion looks like." An article about fear and being fearless.
- Working With The Band by bassist Dean Muench.
This is a great article about how to be a bandleader and how to communicate your intentions and directions easily and clearly to other musicians. A must read!
- Developing Your Own Style by Maye Cavallaro
This is a chapter from my upcoming book including some exercises to help stimulate your thinking about your own musical "image."
- Sitting in and Open Mics by Maye Cavallaro
Here's some handy information about "sitting in" and being successful.
- Dianne Reeves NY Times by Ben Ratliff
In this article Dianne talks about how she gets to the "spirit" of jazz. Very informative.
- How To Call Attention To Your Music by Derek Sivers
Derek started the musican-centric website CD Baby and the rest is history. Derek was one of the first to see how independent musicians could reach the audiences. Lot's of great articles at Sivers.org
- A Vocalist's Best Friend,(Or Foe) by Bob Davis
Pianist's and singers discuss the art of the accompanist. Very informative.
- What It Takes To Be Great Wonder if you're talented enough? Read this interesting article by Geoffrey Colvin, senior editor-at-large of Fortune magazine.
- Kurt Vonnegut explains drama. This is a posting by Derek Sivers. Short and to the point tells why the audience LOVES drama.
- What's a melody for? By Suzanne Vega in the New York times. Interesting thoughts about how music affects us.
- Barbara Cooke's emotional singing lesson. It'sall about the feeling and experience.
- Cassandra Willson. On Memorial Day, as afternoon turned to evening and the barbecues wound down in the brownstone backyards next to Complete Music Studios in Brooklyn’s Prospect Heights district, Cassandra Wilson convened her band for a five-hour rehearsal. Read more...
- The Voice of the Storyteller
- Training Insights from Star Athletes
- The Journey of Story A good story thrives within the environment that exists when the heart and mind are jointly engaged. It creates a connection between our lives and the world the storyteller has so carefully constructed.
- Here is a web link that has some interesting information about getting good promo photos.
- This was also an interesting blog post about band photos
- Feeling a little "down on yourself"? Here are some affirmations for singers and songwriters.